ONLINE

Wednesday 9 November 2016

Part 1: Fresher’s Hunters


THE LEGACY MOI UNIVERSITY PUBLICATION


My name is Brayant*, but ni-allow ni-keep my surname private. Mmekwa mkini-follow na kuni-investigate mabudaa but natambua ni wera yenu, wacha niwafunulie risto nzima juu sitaki mababe wanijue, sifa mbaya zii!!. Juu most of the times nimekwa nikiperuz ripoti zenu za investigation na vile tu mlini-call nikajua za forty zimefika. (You have been investigating me for a while but I have decided to tell you the whole story before you get out and even reveal my name. I have read you investigative reports on your site and daily publications and knew of you capabilities to have a grip on me.)”

The Legacy Investigative team for the past three months was following this story. A story of guys who are taking advantage of the innocent first years, the Freshers. After getting rumours of the happenings, our team planned an investigation into the allegations. Our first step was to get a victim and in a few days we got to meet Beatrice*, at first she was hesitant to talk with our team but after hours of persuasion and promises she gave in. For security reasons we had to meet at her friends residence, Kesses township. It was here that we also realized that her friend too had fallen victim of the said men.

Nimeamua kufanya interview yenu huku coz of privacy and nilikwa nataka mpate details mob juu pia beshte yangu ni victim. (I have decided to get interviewed at this place because I wanted you people to get more details from my friend who is also a victim” Beatrice told amid slight tears.
Beatrice's friend did not want her name revealed. She feared stigmization from her friends especially her male friends who she says may start mocking her. Her worry too was with her female friends who may spread the rumours and back bite her.

Mi ntaongea tu but sitawaambia jina yangu. Naogopa kujulikana na mabeshty wa mine kwanza maboy sitaki wani-sideline wakijua. Madem ndo worse coz wanaumbea mob na wanaeza ni-eat at my back. (I will just talk but won't reveal my names. I fear my friends especially the boys who may sideline me if they knew. The worst is if my female friends know because may backbite me)” Beatrice's friend expressed her worry.

It's here that we got to know some of the identities of the “hunters”, commonly referred to as  Team Mafisi. We decided to investigate one by one but came to realise that most of them had disappeared after getting what they wanted. Our investigations reveals that most of them are the cohorts waiting or already at their attachment stations. But after days, we got a tip off from another victim that she had sported one of them. Bettie* helped us locate the gentleman's residence. Our trusted sources revealed the guy was a third year currently on attachment. Brayant was the name he was widely known by his friends around the campus. Our efforts to know his full names hit rocks but he was confirmed to be a student at the School of Arts and Social Sciences.

We laid our traps but the guy seemed to have knowledge of what was going on. Our efforts seemed to sink into an ocean full of sand. It was during this period that one of us received a call from him. He started with what seemed to be threats but he was ably tamed after which he decided to voluntarily provide the information. He admitted of the doings and that he had once read an investigative report belonging to the legacy. This comrades is what transpired between the guy and the investigative team…...

No comments:

Post a Comment